Yellow Jackets

FRIENDLY, general interest, non LDM discussions with other forum members.
klondike
Part Timer

Oz

Post by klondike »

Mr. Ribaudo,

It is always good to hear from you.

I see you are interested in a Mr. Martin. Is he now your mentor when it comes to Oz, and Calalus. I took the time to read some of his efforts today. He seems a bit confused, but if you find him helpful then good luck to you in your efforts.

One point he seemed to make about mining activites is correct however. Not the exploitation of the locals but the mining. Who knows maybe that is how the symbols got into the mine.

Good catch on Quetzalcoatl. I would think someone able to pick up such a error would also be able to distinguish a starburst from a cross. But perhaps not considering in many ways they are the same thing. That is they both illuminate the darkness. One the darkness of the human mind the other the darkness of the night.

Joe I don`t remember ever missing an appointment in the Superstitions. The only appointment that I know was missed was in Eldorado Canyon. I know that there was a shin ding planned in a good steak house in Phoenix but someone could not find the time. Think copies of two stone maps that have never been seen and some material from I believe Stella Hawkins library, would have been shared. But it is what it is.

I will be in Chicago with several associates for a while but if someone would like to visit Oz just have them pm me. We will see.

The Gatekeeper you mentioned. Oh well it doesn`t matter.

On another subject. I am sure you have seen the Stone Crosses. Do you see anything familiar on the crosses? One might find it odd to find a depiction of a treasure cave in a mountain on a cross. On the other hand a indicator of a holy place with treasure the author knew about but did not know its location might make sense. Who knows maybe it is only a hat.

Odd that the Latin on the Latin heart was commen in Europe and the Middle East around 900 A.D. Also a commen symbol on all those artifacts might spark someone to think a bit. But who knows maybe trying to determine if Jacob was a cross-dresser is more up some folks preferences.

Not really familiar with Coon Bluff but if you believe that Jacob had a mine over there I am sure he did.

Happy trail to you and yours, and give my best to all the Heidi`s.

Klondike
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Heidi's Gone.......

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

We left Heidi and Suzy at my mom's here in havasu with a family member, while we attended the Stoker Family Reunion in Kingman.
On Friday night she fell into my mom's pool and drowned. There was only one Heidi, and I don't need some sick game player reminding me how much I miss her.

Our conversations are trivial and over.

Joe Ribaudo
klondike
Part Timer

Heidi

Post by klondike »

Mr. Ribaudo,

Sorry to hear about Heidi. She must have been special to you.

While life it is said is learning how to live with loss it is a lesson I have never really learned to deal with well.

Take Care,

Klondike
pippinwhitepaws
Expert

Post by pippinwhitepaws »

i buried pippin up on the ridge overlookin the animas river outside durango....sniveled all the way back to az...stopped in an antique store up above farmington...the old man says to me..."you look like your wife or your dog died"...all i could manage is "dog"...well...he then says" was she a good dog?...man only gets one good dog and one good woman in a lifetime...."
well...it has been ten years and i still hold that damn door open just a bit longer than i should...

god loves dogs an little children...
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Good Dogs......

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Pip,

My thanks for the kind words. We lived at Vallecito Lake for a good many years. Missionary Ridge was one of the places I bowhunted, as well as the area above Lemon Dam.

When Heidi was two, Carolyn and I ran out of energy trying to keep up with her play schedule and speed. We purchase Suzy to keep her running.

We put a doggie door in the slider of our bedroom. Heidi figured it out in one try. Suzy would not go thru it no matter what. After a few weeks of trying to teach her, I was laying on the floor trying to coax her to give it a try. I was getting nowhere. Heidi walks into the room and watches for a few minutes.

I say: "Heidi, show Suzy how to go through the door". Her ears perk-up, and she puts here head into the door, looks back at Suzy and takes another step. She stops and looks back at Suzy again. She takes another step so the door is resting on her hips and takes another glance back. She jumps outside and turns right around and comes back in.....tail wagging, tongue hanging out and prancing. Suzy's face is completely blank.

I say: Heidi, I don't think she got it......do it again. She goes through the exact same act all over again, and from that moment on Suzy used the door. I look up at Carolyn, who is as shocked and disbelieving as I am. "Did we just see what we saw"?

That's one of many stories about that little furball.

I guess I have had my one good dog.

Take care,

Joe
squire0

Post by squire0 »

Pip

Was wondering if you got my PM? I went to Superior high too. Also went to Coronado in Scottsale before moving to Superior. Married a girl there and livin in north Alabama now.

Let me know
pippinwhitepaws
Expert

hey bud...you still around?
sent a few email...
klondike
Part Timer

Cubs

Post by klondike »

Hello Cubfan,

Your Cubs did well this weekend. Won all three games against the Sox.

Several of us caught the opening game. Now if you can win a world series.

Of course the cave system under the Salt River would be nice too.

Klondike
Cubfan64
Expert

Re: Cubs

Post by Cubfan64 »

klondike wrote:Hello Cubfan,

Your Cubs did well this weekend. Won all three games against the Sox.

Several of us caught the opening game. Now if you can win a world series.

Of course the cave system under the Salt River would be nice too.

Klondike
Glad you were able to catch a game - I'm envious! They're having a good season so far in 2008. It's a more well balanced team than they've had in the past with a decent mixture of power, OBP, defense, speed, etc... If Zambrano comes back healthy and we don't have any other major health "hiccups," this could be the year. That said, after 37+ years of following them, I don't get my hopes up anymore - hurts too much when they're ultimately dashed!

Sweeping the White Sox is ALWAYS welcome however - even in a losing season! Something sweet about bragging rights!

Seeing the Cubs win a WS trophy or traversing a cave system under the Salt River..... hmmmmmm............that's a thought provoking choice!!
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

Nah, hearing Harry try pronounce Kosuke Fukudome on a daily basis would of beat all.......

Our Starting Ace has 19 saves and our closer has 9 wins......funny old world isn't it?

Soriano and Zambrano getting some rest is good. Still have to boo Edmounds though......
"Be Careful of What You Do Before A Lie Becomes The Truth"
Cubfan64
Expert

Post by Cubfan64 »

Hehe Wayne - you're right, Harry would have butchered that name and laughed his ass off the whole time.

The team actually seems to do just fine without Soriano in there - he's such a streaky hitter that you really don't miss him if guys like Ramirez and Lee can stay fairly consistent. I'm more worried about Zambrano breaking down, so you're right that a little break for him isn't a big deal.

You could have won a ton of money off me last offseason betting on Dempster as a starter. I expected him to be a streaky 0.500 starter - I would never have bet he'd have been as good as he has been so far this year. Wood's another story - I hoped he would do what he's been able to do as a closer - I think this was one of his last chances, and I'm glad it came with the Cubs. I can't think of a better way to win a WS than to see him close out a save in game 7.

I'll be curious to see what moves if any they make before the trade deadline - we don't have a ton of talent in the minor leagues to deal, but I have this gut feeling that if we're going to deal some of the potential future for the possibility of making a run for it, this is the season to do it.

Cub fans in general seem to hate Edmunds - he's kind of an arrogant hot dog in the field, and he's lost some of his offense, but I see him being a pretty useful role player for the team. Like I said to Klondike, I like the mix we have this year - I'm really glad Fukudome didn't move away from his OBP background in order to try to be a big run producer for this team - we've been lacking a guy who works the pitchers to get on base, and I honestly think his patience has paid bigger dividends than shows up in the boxscore every day.

I've had lots of arguments on Cub forums in the past about plate discipline and how you really can't have an entire offensive lineup that doesn't know the strikezone and swings at anything close. I love aggressive hitters, but they need to be aggressive at pitches IN THE STRIKEZONE!! The last few years, our hitters have just made it too easy for opposing pitchers to get them out on pitcher's pitches - it's been a nice change of pace this year.
klondike
Part Timer

The Cubs

Post by klondike »

Hello Cub Fan,

Dog seems to think the Cubs have a great chance of going all the way.

Both teams seem pretty good to me.

You know an entrance is just an exit with a different name.

That is unless all the exits south of the Salt River have been covered along with all surface manifestations of Oz.

Believe Geronimo used parts of the system on occasion to escape IRS agents.

Good luck to you and your Cubs.

Interesting picture here. Oh well.

Klondike
Cubfan64
Expert

Post by Cubfan64 »

You know an entrance is just an exit with a different name.

That is unless all the exits south of the Salt River have been covered along with all surface manifestations of Oz.
Good point about entrances and exits Klondkike - it's all a matter of perspective - alot of things in life seem to fall under that term (perspective).

Unless your associates missed a spot or two, it sounded to me as though there wasn't much chance of stumbling across any holes in the ground that might lead to anything of importance out there - are you suggesting there might still be an "unlocked window" or ?
Believe Geronimo used parts of the system on occasion to escape IRS agents.
Certainly can't blame him for that - if I had some hiding spots in my backyard, I don't think I'd pay my taxes either!
Interesting picture here. Oh well.
What picture is that?

I hemmed and hawed for a couple weeks over taking another trip out to the Superstitions this fall. Finances aren't in the best shape these days and I'm sorta feeling overwhelmed with all the crap I have to do between work and home.... my wonderful wife however convinced me that life is too short and I should just take off and get away for a couple weeks and "rejuvenate" again. Got great plane tickets for October ~$400 round trip, so if I can find a good rental vehicle (4x4), with camping for the 2 weeks I should be able to do the trip for what I found metal detecting the beaches last year.

I'm already looking forward to it - might have to bring along some tools in case I run across an "unlocked window" :)
djui5
Expert

Post by djui5 »

Cub,
You are more than welcome at my house in October. I'd be happy to give you a place to stay for a week or whatever. Also we'll have the Dons camp for the Rendezvous. You can camp there all weekend.
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

"I don't care if it has electric windows. I don't care if the door gaps are straight, but when the driver steps on the gas I want him to piss his pants."
Enzo Ferrari
Cubfan64
Expert

Post by Cubfan64 »

Cub,
You are more than welcome at my house in October. I'd be happy to give you a place to stay for a week or whatever. Also we'll have the Dons camp for the Rendezvous. You can camp there all weekend.
Randy - I really appreciate the offer. I'm terrible at accepting hospitality cause I don't like to be an inconvenience.

My plan was to stay at the Lost Dutchman campground (unless there's a better one around somewhere) for most of the stay except during the Rendevouz at which point I'll move over to the Don's camp for those nights.

I wouldn't want to take advantage of your offer for a whole week or anything, but as we get closer to October I'll get in contact with you - the idea of 1 or 2 nights with a cold beer and a nice shower will probably be appealing at some point. Besides, it would probably be fun to stay up shootin' the shit once or twice.

I'll definitely stay in contact as we get closer to the fall.
djui5
Expert

Post by djui5 »

Sounds good buddy :)
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

"I don't care if it has electric windows. I don't care if the door gaps are straight, but when the driver steps on the gas I want him to piss his pants."
Enzo Ferrari
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

Uh the World series begins on the 22nd of October..............

A rematch of the Dbacks and Cubbies before the rendezvous might make the trip even better.
"Be Careful of What You Do Before A Lie Becomes The Truth"
Cubfan64
Expert

Just my luck...

Post by Cubfan64 »

I'll find myself camping in the Superstitions while the Cubs win their first WS in forever :)

If they actually make it that far, I was going to catch a flight to Chicago and at least hang out at a local tavern across the street from Wrigley at some point. We'll have to see how things work out - I forgot about the timing of it when I planned my 2 week trip to Arizona.
klondike
Part Timer

Oz, the rabbit hole, and the lady

Post by klondike »

Hello Paul,

Yes there are several entrances to the Canyon of the Souls and Oz south of the Salt River.

Find the common symbols I referenced earlier within a mile radius of the coordinates I posted and simply wait. If one believes Oz will come for you.

It is that simple. Just follow the yellow brick road.

Dad and Eldorado used to find humour in placing pictures of folks visiting Oz in several places around the country.

The riddle is. There is a picture hanging in Cape Cod, that shows three men, famous men in Oz. The picture however can only be seen from the Drake Hotel in Chicago.

The Drake is a beautiful old lady. Especially at Christmas.

Enjoy your trip to Arizona.

Who knows maybe Christmas will come in October this year.

Klondike
Cubfan64
Expert

Re: Oz, the rabbit hole, and the lady

Post by Cubfan64 »

Hello Paul,

Yes there are several entrances to the Canyon of the Souls and Oz south of the Salt River.

Find the common symbols I referenced earlier within a mile radius of the coordinates I posted and simply wait. If one believes Oz will come for you.

It is that simple. Just follow the yellow brick road.

Dad and Eldorado used to find humour in placing pictures of folks visiting Oz in several places around the country.

The riddle is. There is a picture hanging in Cape Cod, that shows three men, famous men in Oz. The picture however can only be seen from the Drake Hotel in Chicago.

The Drake is a beautiful old lady. Especially at Christmas.

Enjoy your trip to Arizona.

Who knows maybe Christmas will come in October this year.

Klondike
Hello Klondike,

I'm already working on my agenda for the trip - I have a number of places in the mountains that I hope to visit while there. Perhaps I'll stumble across a yellow brick road as well.

On my last trip this past spring, I found a number of locations where just sitting and waiting produced alot of things in my mind. Reavis Falls, the saddle above West Boulder Canyon and the cliff dwellings in Roger's Canyon. My favorite place though was Garden Valley. I spent about 3/4 of a day wandering around off the trail looking at all the pottery shards. I came across what I'm positive was a grinding stone and kicked a little extra brush over it in the hopes that nobody else would find it and take it. Eventually I found a really quiet area with a little shade where I could look out over the valley and spent an hour or so imagining the familes peacefully living and working down below, watched as soldiers and indians alike fought and killed one another and finally envisioned it as what was once homes fell into ruin.

As I sat there watching hikers in the distance pass by in a rush to get to wherever it is they're going - oblivious of their surroundings and the history involved, I was reminded of my trip to Banff National Park in Canada years ago. My wife and I were stunned by the scenery - we could sit for hours by a turquoise lake watching nothing and everything all at the same time. It was the same type of dichotomy that we witnessed there when the neverending tour busses dropped off their masses who quickly rushed to the same overlooks, spent 30 seconds looking around, had a family member take a photo of them and then rush back to the bus to get a good seat for the next stop.

The saying "stop to smell the roses" was never more appropriate in either case.

I'm surprised that I understood your riddle right away. I never had the opportunity to stay at the Drake as my budget was pretty thin during the years we lived close enough. I do understand they have some wonderful restaurants with great ambiance and delicious food though.

I might have to see if I can find a class to attend in Chicago later this year or next - a visit to the Drake on my company's dime sounds like a good idea :)

An early Christmas would be quite special!
klondike
Part Timer

The Way

Post by klondike »

Hello Paul,

Imagination is a powerful tool in understanding the Superstitions. Without it one can find ones self trapped in a history that simply goes in circles.

In many ways it was designed that way.

I believe insanity can be defined as continually doing something the same way and expecting things to turn out differently.

Until one sees a starburst instead of a cross and the holy instead of a cave of gold bars insanity is all that will be seen.

In distant times the Superstitions was covered with trails with starbursts. A few remain. Some of the Apache`s know these trails and know they were created by the ancient ones.

There is a legend in those mountains about Oz. A legend that speaks to releasing the souls of those entombed. The Thunder Gods.

It all is that simple and the yellow brick road was always right in front of folks.

Yes the Drake is a lovely place. I guess my riddle was too simple.

Klondike
Cubfan64
Expert

Post by Cubfan64 »

Klondike,
I believe insanity can be defined as continually doing something the same way and expecting things to turn out differently.
That's always been a favorite definition of mine. I've worked for... let's see now....6 different companies since I graduated college from UW Madison. Using the above definition, I can honestly say I've worked with MANY MANY of the insane!! :wink:
Yes the Drake is a lovely place. I guess my riddle was too simple.

Just because I think I understood the meaning of the riddle doesn't mean it was simple - unless of course you take into account the fact that I'm not nearly as bright as I pretend to be (hehe).

Heck, I'm just happy to have finally understood one of those cryptic posts for a change, :? it gives me hope that I might be able to unravel some of the other ones!
klondike
Part Timer

Post by klondike »

Hello Paul,

For your consideration:

"We never put in a more interesting day on any Dutchman hunt. The spot where we stood was some eight miles north of the battlefield where "the two crazy men" had picked up the gold-a location which was in itself highly significant--and the trail by which we had come was a long diagonal that originated near the mouth of Fish creek and then ran along the floor of a wide, dry canyon that was roughly parallel to the Salt River. It was a strategic place and, we concluded, just about as inaccessible as any in the whole superstition area". Sims Ely--The Lost Dutchman Mine published in Great Britain Eyre&Spottiswoode London, purchased in Rhodesia. Kingstons Ltd.

The easiest place to hide the truth is in plain view.

Might be interesting to examine that canyon floor for marine fossils and other things.

A good day indeed.

Klondike
pippinwhitepaws
Expert

a tibetan monk once told me about the five fingers area in the superstitions...oz a portion of this complex? or the other way around?
klondike
Part Timer

the Fingers

Post by klondike »

Hello Mr. Paws:

I imagine that a Tibetan Monk would have just as good a chance as anyone else of understanding the wonder of the Superstitions.

Perhaps he would understand that as long as one only looks for the LDM one will miss the heart of the true mystery in those mountains.

Perhaps you would care to elaborate.

On another subject. Ely mentions in his masterful work on the LDM that Jacob was an intelligent individual of high character. He also says of Jacob that he, "learned a long time ago that if I(Jacob) don`t keep my own secrets, I can`t expect others to keep them" page 108

Perhaps such a man would spin a legend to convince folks there was only one mine. One mine with many different descriptions to confuse and complicate the search for those who followed.

If Jacob was a man of high character and kept secrets, why would he do this? What was he protecting?

Did he spend over twenty years in those mountains for just one mine?

That is the simple explanation.

And to think Jim Bark spent all that time near the Salt River for a low grade gold deposit.

The simple sometimes hides the obvious.

Klondike